Five Things We Learned from Wizkid’s Beats 1 Interview
Last night, Wizkid had an impromptu 30-minute interview with Ebro Darden on his Beats 1 radio show and he let out some surprising information about his latest project (“forming accent” and all). In case you missed it, here are the highlights:
1. Wizkid confirmed that he has two albums done already. The name and date of the albums’ release are TBA, but we hope that at least one of them caters to the original Wizkid fans with the afrobeats sound he started with.
2. He wants to get in the studio with Pharrell, Kanye West, and Damian Marley. These are big names but Starboy has lit a match in America, so he just might find himself with one, if not all three, of these artists.
3. Wizkid confirms that he’s collaborated with rapper, Future.
According to Ayo, they’re working on 3-4 tracks together along with songs featuring his good friend Ty Dolla $ign that he’s saving up. Future recently added Wizkid on certain dates of the “Future Hndrxx” tour but we can only imagine what those songs would sound like. Not sure if these records will be on Wizkid’s next project that he says “just might” drop later this year.
4. Wizkid’s interest in music started at 10 years of age. His original artist name was “Lil’ Prinz.” Yeah…I would’ve changed that name too.
5. The biggest surprise from the interview came when he revealed that Daddy Yankee was originally supposed to be on “Daddy Yo“. No wonder it sounded like a reggaeton record! It wasn’t clear why it never came to fruition but they are still working together.
It’s safe to say Wizkid’s rise to international stardom will not be ending anytime soon. He is here to stay for a very long time so we all might as well get use to it.
Check out a clip of the interview below.
— Beats 1 (@Beats1) July 17, 2017