World Kindness Day is an international observance on November 13th that is celebrated throughout the world. Although kindness is a trait that should be exercised on the regular, it’s good to have a special day dedicated to reminding us that no matter the circumstance, we should treat people the way we would want to be treated. With the holidays quickly approaching us, this is the perfect opportunity to exercise what it truly means to be kind.
It’s no secret that this December, Africa is the place to be! Whether you’re going back home to Ghana, Nigeria, Ethiopia, or wherever you find yourself this holiday season, it’s a great opportunity to lend a helping hand. The reality is, a lot of people in our home countries are not as fortunate as we are. I know for me personally, going back home to Ghana made me realize how blessed I am to have basic necessities at my fingertips. We all know Africa is lit. It’s honestly one of the best places to be (especially during the holiday season) all I’m saying is don’t let your trip be only about you. Enjoy the turn-up, but also give back and be kind whenever you can. Whether it’s making a plantain chips seller’s day by buying her whole stash, volunteering at an orphanage, or helping someone on the street who needs it. There are so many little ways we can give back, be kind, and show love to our people. Africa is the future and it starts with our generation going back home, rebuilding, and creating a better environment for our people.
Here are some great volunteer/ give back opportunities going on this holiday season in Africa.
- Feeding Our Relatives event (Dec. 26) in Jamestown, Accra. Follow @TheDistantRelativesProject on IG for more info
- Africa’s Mental Health Matters 2nd Annual Conference (Dec 13) in Lagos. Follow @amh_matters on IG for more info
- A Hope for Children. For more info on ways to volunteer visit: https://www.ahopeforchildren.org/how-you-can-help/#volunteer-in-ethiopia
- South Africa
- The Love of Christ Children’s Home. For more info on ways to volunteer visit: http://tlc.org.za/
- Grace Ministries. For more info on ways to volunteer visit: https://grace-orphanage.org/
- Sierra Leone
- Child Help Sierra Leone. For more info on ways to volunteer visit: http://www.childhelpsl.org/en/volunteer.html